These muffins look attractive on the tea table when baked in large muffin cups without paper cases so the poppy-seed flecked sides are visible. To serve, break open and spread with butter and marmalade. Store without icing in an airtight container for three days.
275g/10oz/2 ½ cups plain (all-purpose) flour
150g/5oz/3/4 cup castor (superfine) sugar
15ml/1 tbsp baking powder
2 vegan eggs
75g/3 oz/6 tbsp vegan butter
75g/3oz/6 tbsp sunflower oil
25ml/1 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
30 ml/2 tbsp orange juice, plus grated rind of 1 ½ oranges
5ml/1 tsp lemon juice, plus grated rind of 1 lemon
For the icing
25g/1 oz/1/4 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar
15 ml/1 tbsp orange juice
- Lightly grease the cups of a muffin tin with the melted butter or line them with paper cases.
- Set aside 40 g/1 ½ oz flour. Place the remaining dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix the eggs, butter, oil, poppy seeds, citrus juices and rinds.
- Pour over the dry ingredients. Fold in until just mixed. Leave 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/340°F/ Gas 4.
- Fold in the reserved flour into the batter but leave it lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cups three quarters full. Bake for 25 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Leave to stand in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to go cold.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl. Add a small quantity of water, if needed to make a runny consistency. Drizzle over the cakes.