Simple, fluffy vegan cinnamon rolls infused with banana bread flavour and made in just one.
1 cup unsweetened soya milk or almonds
3 tbsp vegan butter
1 packet instant/fast active yeast 2 1/4 tsp
1 cane sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
2 2/3- 3 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup tbsp ground cinnamon
20 very thin banana slices 1/2 cups yields-20 slices 1/3 cup raw walnuts or pecans optional plus for topping
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 tbsp sugar cane or brown sugar
1. Dough In a large mixing bowl, heat the almond milk and vegan butter in the microwave in 30 sec increments (or heat over medium heat in a large sauce pan), until warm and melted (never reaching boiling). Let cool to 110 degrees (43 C) – the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast. (If you used a saucepan to heat the milk, transfer to a large mixing bowl now.)
2. Sprinkle on yeast and let activate for 10 minutes. Then add sugar and salt and stir. Next, add in mashed ripe banana and stir. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so, adding flour as needed, until it forms a loose but still springy ball. Only use as much flour as it will take.
3. Rinse out your mixing bowl, coat it with olive oil, and add your dough ball back in seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size (see photo) – mine only took 40 minutes.
4. Filling On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a long rectangle ~1/4 inch thick (the dough should measure roughly 12 x 20 inches). Brush with melted vegan butter and top with cane sugar (I used a little brown sugar mixed in with the cane sugar) and 1/2 – 1 Tbsp cinnamon (up to preference // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Then add banana slices so it’s easy to roll, and walnuts.
5. Slowly and tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. With a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1 1/2 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8 square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls as original recipe is written).
6.topping Brush with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with sugar (brown or cane) and remaining walnuts.
7.Cover with plastic wrap and set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
8. Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 28-35 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm.
9. frosting with a dairy-free cream cheese frosting or a simple dairy-free glaze.
10. Cinnamon rolls should keep covered at room temp for up to a few days, though best when fresh. You can freeze at the stage where the dough is cut into cinnamon rolls and placed in a pan. Cover well and freeze in a pan, then let thaw for at least 6 hours before baking. Cover and set on top of the oven while preheating to help rise. Bake as instructed.